(DEVELOPING) One resident was injured while six houses were gutted when a fire broke out at Pook Palaris, Barangay UP Campus around 12 in the morning on 15 October 2018.

The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) Quezon City Fire District received a call from a resident at 12:15 AM about a fire in the house of a certain Estrella Barona (other reports say Estrella Rodriguez). First responders were on the scene at 12:27 AM, but a second alarm was raised by 12:28 AM.

A second fire alarm means that the fire is difficult to control with five trucks.

Firefighters reported the incident as “under control” by 12:49 AM, and officially out by 1:12 AM. Seventeen trucks from BFP and fire volunteers responded to the incident.

The BFP spot report identified 27-year-old Geovani Edgano as injured with finger lacerations, while damage to property amounted to around P200,000. Twelve families were affected by the fire.

According to BFP arson investigator SF02 Rolando Valena, a family misunderstanding may have caused the incident. “Away kasi ng pamilya. Allegedly pa, kasi kinukuha pa namin ang salita ng dalawang panig, naghihintay din kami ng complainant kasi wala pa namang nag-file ng complaint against certain suspects,” he explained.

BFP is ruling out electrical malfunction as a cause of the fire because the house had no electricity.

During the incident, several residents were heard muttering how alleged drug users using candles for their “pot session” caused the fire. One of the residents claim that this is the second time that a fire gutted the same house.

The BFP has yet to corroborate these allegations, as its investigation is still in full swing.■

*