FIRST DAY RAGE. Anakbayan Maskom Chairperson Gab Ramos (foreground) calls for better leadership in the College of Mass Communication and more pro-student policies in the University. The First Day Rage mobilization was called for by the Katipunan ng mga Sangguniang Mag-aaral sa UP (KASAMA sa UP) and was held on January 15 at the AS steps to welcome the second semester. PHOTO: Joaquin Arriola
———————————————

UP students welcomed the second semester with raised fists as they call for greater state support for education and an end to the Duterte tyranny.

“Unang araw po ng bagong semestre ngunit luma pa rin yung mga pinaglalaban natin dahil wala pong klarong tugon yung ating administrasyon sa matagal nating mga pinapanawagan,” said Gab Ramos from Anakbayan Maskom.

Ramos highlighted their call for College of Mass Communication (CMC) Dean Elena E. Pernia’s replacement due to regressive anti-student policies involving high rental fees and the continued implementation of Faculty-Students Relations Committee (FRSC) Manual that has made the recognition process for CMC-based organizations more difficult.

CMC Representative to the University Student Council (USC) Arlan Jay Jondonero shared that the CMC Student Council is unanimously supporting Journalism Professor Dr. Maria Diosa Labiste to succeed Pernia as Dean because of the latter’s silence about issues affecting their college and her failure to listen to student concerns.

The Board of Regents (BOR), UP’s highest policymaking body, has yet to choose the next CMC Dean. On the other hand, Pernia was sworn in as Vice President for Public Affairs on January 25, following Dr. Jose Dalisay Jr.’s retirement.

Lennel Domanais of Alay Sining Kolehiyo ng Arte at Literatura (KAL) lambasted the policy of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) removing Filipino and Panitikan as core subjects in college.

*